Mexico: Team Member Nationality Requirements

Work visas in Mexico (source)

  • Work visas (usually an FM2 or FM3 visa) are granted by the Institute of Immigration (Instituto Nacional de Migración - INM) (source)
    • Since 2012 it is required that an applicant have a job offer or work contract from a company registered in Mexico
    • The company has to apply for the work permit with the INM and the worker can stay in Mexico on a tourist visa until the work permit is granted
      • As part of the application the company has to submit various documents, including proof of tax payments, a list of employees and their nationalities, the personal identification of a designated representative. Furthermore, a copy of the worker’s passport or other ID has to be submitted.
    • Once the permit is granted, the worker must collect the visa at the Mexican consulate of their home country. The worker must pass an interview at their home Mexican consulate in order to get the work permit
    • The INM will process the case within 20 days
  • Once the worker arrives in Mexico, they and their family members must register at the INM within 30 days
  • Once a work permit has been obtained, an individual can apply for a residence visa
  • Residency Requirements:
    • There are no nationality restrictions on directors. However, foreign directors must comply with the applicable immigration rules and permits (source)
    • Foreigners can own 100% of a Mexican corporation and open their business in Mexico. Mexico’s legal system and tax laws for businesses do not discriminate between foreigner business or Mexican National owned businesses (source)

Exceptions (source)

  • Individuals with valid visas from the USA may not require a work permit if they are planning on staying in Mexico for less than 6 months as a business visitor. This also applies to permanent residents of the UK. More information (here)
  • For individuals who are under 30 and from an eligible country (including New Zealand, Canada, France, Germany or South Korea), they may be able to get a Mexican working holiday visa for up to one year. This visa allows individuals to work for up to three months with any one employer and doesn’t require employer sponsorship. Check with your local embassy to see if you’re qualified (source)


Previous Section Next Section

Have a comment, edit, or item to add? Share your thoughts by commenting below!

comments powered by Disqus