Denmark: Team Member Nationality Requirements

Any Nordic or EU/EEA citizen can start a business in Denmark. If you are from outside the Nordic countries, EU/EEA, or Switzerland, you have to apply for a residence and work permit before arriving in Denmark. There are many programs, such as “The Positive List,” “The Pay Limit Scheme,” “Researchers and Guest Researchers Program,” and “Start-up Denmark,” which can all be found here.

How to Apply for Residence and Work Permits:

  • Applications for work and residence permits are typically submitted to a Danish diplomatic mission in your home country
  • The application process typically takes 1-3 months
  • The application form and guidelines can be found here
  • You must either submit your application in person or appear in person to have your biometric features recorded no later than 14 days after application submission
  • If you already legally reside in Denmark, you can submit your application here, at a Danish police station, or in the Citizen Centre of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration

CPR Registration:

  • After arriving in Denmark, you must register your address in the Civil Registration System (CPR) to receive a Civil Registration number (CPR number)
  • Contact International Citizen Service or the Borgerservice at your local municipality
  • Bring the following (in English, German, or a Scandinavian language):
    • Residence and work permit and its copy
    • Original passport/national ID card with photo and its copy
    • Proof of address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract letter from landlord) and its copy
    • Original marriage certificate and its copy (if you are married and even if your partner is not coming with you)
    • Divorce/death certificate (if applicable to your spouse)
    • Original birth certificates and copies for accompanying children under 18
  • You now must apply for a health insurance card here

Tax Registration:

Register Your Business:

  • Register your company with the Danish Commerce and Companies Agency no later than 8 days before you start any dutiable activities
  • Register your business at


Previous Section Next Section

Have a comment, edit, or item to add? Share your thoughts by commenting below!

comments powered by Disqus