Czech Republic: Team Member Nationality Requirements

Czech law enables foreigners to conduct commercial activities under the same conditions and to the same extent as Czech entrepreneurs. Foreigners may become founders or co-founders of a company, or may join an existing Czech company.

Foreign companies may operate in the Czech Republic either by establishing a branch office registered in the Czech Republic or by establishing a Czech company.

Foreign investors also can receive a visa. The conditions applying to a foreign citizen entry to the Czech Republic and their residence in the country are governed by Act No. 326/1999 Coll. on Residence of Foreign Citizens in the Czech Republic , as amended.

The Czech Republic has been a part of European Union since 2004. As in any other EU member state, the visa procedure differs for EU-citizens and non-EU citizens. EU passport holders don’t need any permission to start working in Czech Republic.

For those employed by the Czech entity:

An original work permit as a permit to work was replaced by an employee card in June 2014. Non-EU nationals therefore need to apply for an employee card instead of a work permit. Also, a visa for the purpose of employment and long-term residence permits for the purpose of employment are no longer issued. All is covered by an employee card that allows its holder both to reside and to work legally in the Czech Republic.

For those employed by the foreign entity:

If an employee of a non EU country is transferred to the Czech Republic to work, but remains employed by that company outside the Czech Republic, than he/she will be required to obtain both. A permit to work (work permit) and an employee card.

How to get an employee card?

An employee card is always issued for a specific job vacancy and most often for the duration of when you will be working in the Czech Republic for up to two years, with the possibility of extension. The most important document that you need to provide is therefore the working contract from your employer, who also needs to register the specific job vacancy at the Labour Office. You also need to provide a valid passport and prove that you have a place to stay in the Czech Republic.

EU Blue card

Highly-skilled workers from outside of the EU can still apply for the EU Blue card. The process is very similar to the process of obtaining an employee card, but also need to provide a validated university diploma and prove that gross monthly or annual salary amounts to at least a 1.5 multiple of the gross monthly or annual salary in the Czech Republic.

Application for the Employee Card at the embassy outside of the Czech Republic requires following documents:

1) A passport. 2) Two photos of EU size (3.5 x 4.5). 3) The application form with the official number of the vacant position. 4) The employment contract or the contract about the future cooperation. 5) The accommodation confirmation signed by the owner of the property at the notary. 6) Legally verified proof of your education. 7) Criminal history background check from your home country and from the country where you lived longer than 6 months in last 3 years.

Documents regarding the purpose of stay in the Czech Republic:


  • copy of a working permit issued by the Employment Administration Office (“Povolení k zaměstnání”) in the Czech Republic (notarized by a Czech notary)

commercial and investment class:

  • copy of a Record from the Commercial Register (“Zápis od Obchodního rejstříku”) in the Czech Republic (notarized by a Czech notary)

licensed professionals and businessmen:

  • notarized copy of a document confirming a discontinuation of the procedure for issuing trade license (“ Živnostenské oprávnění”) from “Živnostenský úřad” - this applies when the trade license has not been issued because of nonexistence of the long term permit
  • notarized copy of a trade license (“Živnostenský list”)
  • notarized copy of a preliminary trade license (“ ohlášení živnosti) in case that “Živnostenský list” was not issued
  • notarized copy of a business license (“Koncesní listina”)
  • notarized copy of a contract or notarial protocol (“ notářský zápis”) confirming the establishment of a company
  • notarized copy of a Record from the Commercial Register (“Zápis do Obchodního rejstříku”)

family/accompanying family member:

  • notarized copy of a marriage certificate
  • notarized copy of a birth certificate
  • other document certifying the relationship to relatives


Previous Section Next Section

Have a comment, edit, or item to add? Share your thoughts by commenting below!

comments powered by Disqus